Gender piculiarities and distinctions in physical condition’s self description of different age categories girls and boys
AbstractPurpose: to study gender peculiarities and distinctions in physical condition’s self-description of schoolchildren. Material: in the research schoolchildren of 5-11 form (boys -- n=177, girls- n=188) participated. Test-questionnaire “Self description of physical condition” was used. Results: it was found that correlations of indicators of all age categories have gender distinctions. It was determined that boys associate heir health with own self-assessment and physical qualities: coordination of movements, flexibility. Girls connect their health with physical functioning and own physical abilities. Boys connect physical coordination of movements with strength. Girls connect it with appearance. Besides, it was found that boys connect their self-assessment directly with their strength and physical activity. For girls these indicators are not very important. Conclusions: approaches to solution of gender stereotypes and imbalance in adolescents’ physical development are recommended. It is purposeful to work out conception of gender approach to physical education. It would permit: to facilitate development of individual bents and talents of pupils of different sex; to overcome sex-role stereotypes; more effective formation of physical culture values.
View Counter: Abstract | 112 | times, Article PDF |
1. Babeshko O. Genderni zasadi pobudovi zmistu fizichnogo vikhovannia shkoliariv [Gender principles of building of pupils’ physical education content]. Fizichne vikhovannia v shkoli 2006;4:50 -53. (in Ukrainian)
2. Bezverkhniaia GV, Maevskij NI. Formirovanie cennostnykh orientacij v processe fizicheskogo vospitaniia studentov [Formation of value orientation in process of students’ physical education]. Pedagogics, psychology, medical-biological problems of physical training and sports 2010;1:10-12.
3. Bochenkova EV. Samoopisanie fizicheskogo razvitiia [Self-description of physical condition], Krasnodar: KGAFK Publ.; 2000. (in Russian)
4. Varij MJ. Psikhologiia osobistosti [Psychology of personality], Kyiv: Center of educational literature; 2008. (in Ukrainian)
5. Vikhor ST. Genderne vikhovannia [Gender education]. Nauka i suchasnist' 2003;41:82 – 89. (in Ukrainian)
6. Govorun TV, Kikinedzhi OM. Genderna psikhologiia [Gender psychology], Kiev: Academy; 2004. (in Ukrainian)
7. Goriachov VV. Psikhologo-pedagogicheskie usloviia razvitiia osoznannogo otnosheniia starsheklassnikov k fizkul'turno-ozdorovitel'noj deiatel'nosti. Cand. Diss. [Psychological-pedagogic conditions of development of senior pupils’ conscious attitude to health related physical culture functioning. Cand. Diss.], Tambov; 2009. (in Russian)
8. Ievstigneieva IV. Genderne vikhovannia uchniv osnovnoi shkoli na urokakh fizichnoi kul'turi. Cand. Diss. [Gender education of comprehensive school pupils at physical culture lessons. Cand. Diss.], Lugansk; 2012. (in Ukrainian)
9. Il'in EP. Pol i gender [Sex and gender], Sankt Petersburg: Peter; 2010. (in Russian)
10. Kikinedzhi OM, Kriz' OB. Osoblivosti gendernoi socializacii deprivovanogo iunactva [Specific features of gender socialization of deprived youth], Ternopil, Bogdan; 2004. (in Ukrainian)
11. Kravec' VP. Genderna pedagogika [Gender pedagogic], Ternopil: Dgura; 2003. (in Ukrainian)
12. Marchenko OIu. Vpliv zaniat' sportom na samoocinku fizichnogo rozvitku studentiv riznikh grup [Influence of sports practicing on self assessment of different group students’ physical condition]. Pedagogics, psychology, medical-biological problems of physical training and sports 2010;8:56-60. (in Ukrainian)
13. Marchenko OIu. Osobennosti proiavlenij femininnosti i maskulinnosti u podrostkov [Peculiarities of adolescents’ femininity and masculinity manifestation]. Sportivnij visnik Pridniprov’ia 2013;1:66-69. (in Russian)
14. Marchenko OY. Gender differences in relation of students to sports activity. Pedagogics, psychology, medical-biological problems of physical training and sports 2013;10:41-45. doi:10.6084/m9.figshare.775328
15. Marchenko OY. Features of gender identity among schoolchildren of different ages. Pedagogics, psychology, medical-biological problems of physical training and sports, 2014;1:37-41. doi:10.6084/m9.figshare.894388
16. Marchenko OIu. Gendernye osobennosti motivacii shkol'nikov k zaniatiiam fizicheskoj kul'turoj i sportom[Gender specificities of pupil’ motivation for physical culture and sports practicing]. Mezhdunarodnaia nauchno-prakticheskaia konferenciia, Minsk, 23-24 aprelia 2015 “Universitetskij sport v sovremennom obrazovatel'nom sociume” [International scientific-practical conference. Minsk. April 23-24, 2015 “University’s sports in modern educational socety”], Minsk BGUFK; 2015. P. 157-161. (in Russian)
17. Moskal'ova AS. Gendernij pidkhid u vikhovanni pidlitkiv [Gender approach to education of adolescents]. Visnik pisliadiplomnoi osviti 2005;1:110-116 (in Ukrainian)
18. Mudrik AV. O polovom (gendernom) podkhode v social'nom vospitanii [On sex (gender) approach to social education]. Vospitatel'naia rabota v shkole 2003;5:15-20. (in Russian)
19. Prikhozhan AM. Primenenie metodov priamogo ocenivaniia v rabote shkol'nogo psikhologa [Application of direct assessment methods in work of school psychologist]. Nauchno-metodicheskie osnovy ispol'zovaniia v shkol'noj psikhologicheskoj sluzhbe konkretnykh psikhodiagnosticheskikh metodik, 1988;1:110-128. (in Russian)
20. Tatarinceva NE. Pedagogicheskie usloviia vospitaniia osnov polorolevogo povedeniia detej mladshego doshkol'nogo vozrasta. Cand. Diss. [Pedagogic conditions of education of principles of junior pre-school age children’s sex-role behavior. Cand. Diss.], Rostov on Don; 1999. (in Russian)
21. Fashchuk OV. Genderni osoblivosti fizichnogo vikhovannia pidlitkiv. Cand. Diss. [Gender specificities of adolescents’ physical education]. Cand. Diss.], Ivano-Frankivsk; 2011. (in Ukrainian)
22. Fedorenko IeO. Formuvannia motivacii do special'no organizovanoi rukhovoi aktivnosti starshoklasnikiv. Cand. Diss. [Formation of senior pupils’ motivation for specially organized motor functioning. Cand. Diss.], Dnipropetrovsk; 2011. (in Ukrainian)
23. Cibul's'ka VV. Formuvannia motivacii do profesijno-prikladnoi fizichnoi pidgotovki studentiv pedagogichnikh special'nostej na riznikh formakh navchannia. Cand. Diss. [Formation of pedagogic specialties’ students’ of different forms of learning motivation for professionally applied physical training. Cand. Diss.], Dnipropetrovsk; 2015. (in Ukrainian)
24. Shevchenko AM. Genderne vikhovannia molodshikh shkoliariv zasobami fol'kloru v umovakh polikul'turnogo regionu. Cand. Diss. [Gender education of junior pupils by means of folklore in conditions of poly-cultural region. Cand. Diss.], Lugansk; 2009. (in Ukrainian)
25. Shtyleva LV. Vnedrenie gendernykh kursov v sistemu srednego obrazovaniia [Implementation of gender courses in system of secondary education], Ivanovo; 2000. (in Russian)
26. Bazylyuk TA. Self-evaluation of health and interests of students of higher education institutions on course physical education. Pedagogics, psychology, medical-biological problems of physical training and sports, 2013;7:3-6. http://dx.doi.org/10.6084/m9.figshare.735943
27. Cvencek D, Greenwald AG, Meltzoff AN. Implicit measures for preschool children confirm self-esteem’s role in maintaining a balanced identity. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology 2016;62:50–57.
28. Danielsen YS, Nordhus IH, Júlíusson PB, Mæhle M, Pallesen S. Effect of a family-based cognitive behavioural intervention on body mass index, self-esteem and symptoms of depression in children with obesity (aged 7–13): A randomised waiting list controlled trial. Obesity Research & Clinical Practice 2013;7(2):e116–128.
29. Dickenson B, Sparkes A. Pupil devinition of physical education. British journal of physical education research supplement 1988;2:67-72.
30. Faulkner G, Carson V, Stone M. Objectively measured sedentary behaviour and self-esteem among children. Mental Health and Physical Activity 2014;7(1):25–29.
31. Hendry I. Changing school in changing society. In: Evans J. Physical education, sport and schooling lewes. Falmerpress; 1986..
32. Jagiello Marina, Jagiello Wladyslaw. The level of self-esteem in 14-16-year - old female tennis players. Pedagogics, psychology, medical-biological problems of physical training and sports, 2015;11:78-80. http://dx.doi.org/10.15561/18189172.2015.1112
33. Krutsevich TYu, Marchenko OYu. Gender features of self-description of schoolchildren’s physical condition. Pedagogics, psychology, medical-biological problems of physical training and sports, 2015;12:51-57. http://dx.doi.org/10.15561/18189172.2015.1208
34. Liashenko VN, Tumanova VN, Mariskina TV. Features of manifestation of self-trained athletes specialized in jumping. Physical Education of Students 2012;6:70-73.
35. Mikhnov AP. Effectiveness of competitive activity of high class hockey players accounting a level of their self-esteem. Pedagogics, psychology, medical-biological problems of physical training and sports 2015;2:47-52. http://dx.doi.org/10.15561/18189172.2015.0208
36. Murdoch E. Sport in schools, department of education and science. sport council, London; 1995.
37. Noordstar JJ, van der Net J, Jak S, Helders PJM, Jongmans MJ. Global self-esteem, perceived athletic competence, and physical activity in children: A longitudinal cohort study. Psychology of Sport and Exercise 2016;22:83–90.
38. Ortega Becerra MA, Muros JJ, Palomares Cuadros J, Martín Sánchez JA, Cepero González M. Influence of BMI on self-esteem of children aged 12–14 years. Anales de Pediatría (English Edition). 2015;83(5):311–317.
39. Park KM, Park H. Effects of Self-esteem Improvement Program on Self-esteem and Peer Attachment in Elementary School Children with Observed Problematic Behaviors. Asian Nursing Research 2015;9(1):53–59.
40. Radchenko AV. Professional self-assessment of future health basics teachers as professionally important quality. Pedagogics, psychology, medical-biological problems of physical training and sports, 2015;12:87-90. http://dx.doi.org/10.15561/18189172.2015.12013
41. Romanowska-Tolloczko Anna, Piwowarczyk Piotr. The assessment of difficulty of yacht sailing classes and students' global self-esteem. Physical Education of Students, 2015;3:79-83. http://dx.doi.org/10.15561/20755279.2015.0310
42. Sánchez Arenas JJ, Ruiz Martínez AO. Relationship between self-esteem and body image in children with obesity. Revista Mexicana de Trastornos Alimentarios. 2015;6(1):38–44.
43. Tsybul'ska VV. Self-appraisal adequacy of students' physical abilities of pedagogical specialties involved in various forms of education. Physical Education of Students, 2014;5:48-52. http://dx.doi.org/10.15561/20755279.2014.0509
44. Wexler D. The Adolescent Self: Strategies for Self – Management. Belf – Soothing. Self – Esteem in Adoltseents. New York: W W. Norton; 1991.
45. Wichstrøm L, von Soest T. Reciprocal relations between body satisfaction and self-esteem: A large 13-year prospective study of adolescents. Journal of Adolescence. 2016;47:16–27.
Copyright Holder - Author(s).
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms: more